I am unwell, where should I go

Making sure you go to the right place for help when you are unwell means that you and your family will get the best treatment. It also helps ensure busy NHS services are available to help everyone including other patients who may need them more.

Self-care – self-care is the best choice to treat coughs, colds and other very minor illnesses and injuries using over the counter medicines.

Pharmacist – your local chemist can give you advice on common health problems and the medicines you need to treat them.

GP/ out of hours service – make an appointment with your local GP when you have an illness or injury which will not go away and which cannot be treated by over the counter treatments. In an emergency, you can contact the out of hours service by telephoning your surgery and following the recorded instructions.

NHS 111 – available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not life-threatening, for guidance on where to go for help or if you need health information and reassurance.

Urgent Care Centres for minor illness or minor injury are available at Beckenham Beacon (8am-8pm 365 days a year) and the Princess Royal University (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

A&E or 999 – should only be used in very serious or life-threatening situations.