This year’s theme is: ‘Leave Them Certain’. This campaign aims to encourage people to talk to their loved ones about organ donation through highlighting that families are always involved before organ donation goes ahead.
Why talk about organ donation?
Your family will always be involved before organ donation goes ahead. Your family can override your decision if they aren’t sure what you want. So, leave them certain. Did you know? – 9 out of 10 families support donation going ahead when they know it’s what their loved one would have wanted.
How to talk about organ donation
It doesn’t matter how you start talking about organ donation, but it’s really important that you do.
Tips to get you started
- Relax – take your time.
- Be honest – it’s important you’re as open with each other as you can be.
- Seek guidance – faith and culture play a big part in how people feel about organ donation .
- Get support at – (organdonation.nhs.uk/helping-you-to-decide/your-faith-and-beliefs/)
- Get the facts – if you need to, find out more about the basics of organ donation: (organdonation.nhs.uk/helping-you-to-decide/)
- Use prompts – download one of the NHS organ donor cards here (organdonation.nhs.uk/talk-to-your-loved-ones/the-organ-donor-card/)
Have you registered your decision? Find out more at organdonation.nhs.uk