It’s Breastfeeding Celebration Week! This year’s theme is encouraging the wider family to support with breastfeeding.
Every breastfeeding journey is unique, but remember you are not alone. Try to stay connected if you feel you need extra support.
Everyone plays a unique role in supporting breastfeeding. Why not offer to cook food for the family, or provide childcare for any older children? This helps parents to focus on becoming a family unit!
Some of the benefits of breastfeeding are:
- your breast milk is perfectly designed for your baby
- breast milk protects your baby from infections and diseases
- breastfeeding provides health benefits for you
- breast milk is available for your baby whenever your baby needs it
- breastfeeding can build a strong emotional bond between you and your baby
Breastfeeding can help to reduce your baby’s risk of:
- infections, with fewer visits to hospital as a result
- diarrhoea and vomiting, with fewer visits to hospital as a result
- sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- cardiovascular disease in adulthood
Find further support and advice at Breastfeeding | Baby | Start4Life (www.nhs.uk)